Monday, April 21, 2014

Good-bye Zurich

Dear Friends, I am The Homesick Potter,

Time flies! It has already been 20 days since I arrived in Berlin, and I am still holding out on my final Zurich blog.

Zurich, the largest city in Switzerland is located at the north-western tip of Lake Zurich. Picture-card perfect with two rivers, the Limmat and the Sihl,  the lake is hugged by majestic mountains.  Steeped in history unmarred by recent wars, affluent and very clean. The city has many claims to fame but I shall just focus on a few which caught my eye during my 3 month stay.


The Polyterrasse gives you the perfect vantage point 


over the city.

Across the valley the Uetliberg is the perfect outing for a Sunday stroll, or for the more sporty, a hike. 


A reward in the form of a teahouse is never far.


Menue of the Teehüsli 

As soon as the sun is out students from ETH populate the polyterrasse.


Sometimes strange experiments can be witnessed. This student collected data on time. 
Does my arrival time change with a clock strapped to my back?


 Züri-West should not be missed, this now-favourite area was once an industrial site and is a interesting mixture of gritty and new.



The Schiffbau is home to a theatre, restaurant and Jazz club.  Moods im Schiffbau  has an international program, great Jazz in an intimate space.  Along Josefstrasse are a number of ethnic shops where the more adventurous culinary taste buds can be satisfied. Every Sunday there is a flea market at Helvetiaplatz


This little gem I have kept from you long enough:  Le gourmandises de Miyuko is a Teahouse.  I discovered it by chance and later found articles about it on the web. The first time I went there was just to have coffee and to gawk at other people's food. The next time I sampled the food myself.  It was the perfect Valentines outing. 


The cafe is on a small side street on Beckenhofstrasse 7. 


On entering, the first room is partly shop and partly cafe. Further in, there are two more rooms for guests. 
All three rooms are cosy, fusing Japanese, French and Swiss decor and design.




Miyuko's attention to detail is not only in their food preparation but also the decor and interior design.


Along the river Limmat was my favourite running route and consequently became very familiar to me. I particularly enjoyed the slow changes with the increase in temperature.


In early January I watched a duck gliding gracefully by.


In February these two young Swiss girls felt it was time for a dip.


Primula  are eager to show their flowers.

 February also brought the opening of my favourite  hangout. 


Restaurant Chuchi am Wasser is located  at  the  Wasserwerkstrasse 21.
 They serve nice lunches and a good laté macciato. 

The Kunsthaus (Museum of Art) has a wonderful collection of modern art. 


I loved the Cello Player by Cuno Amiet 1868-1961 


Les cages  sont  toujours imaginaires, 1925 by  Max Ernst 1891-1976 



On my last day in Zurich I went to the Botanical Garden. 
 In the far corner tucked away from the more exotic plants is a field of Primula elatior which reminded me of my mother.


 The two of us would pick the flowers, dry them and later make tea.



A heartfelt embrace to all my fiends.
Good-bye Zurich

No comments:

Post a Comment